I’d like to think of this as the beginning. The beginning of the end of me being fat. I know it’s going to take time. A really long time, in fact, given the amount of weight that I want to lose. So this is me and this is where I am in my life. I’m 25. I weigh 272 pounds (I’m 5’6″ if that matters). This whole weight loss thing is a bit daunting. It’s hard enough for people who just want to lose 10 or 15 pounds but I want to lose approximately 112 pounds. Here is what I know. I know that this is going to require me to completely change my life. It’s like the experts all say, it’s not a diet it’s a lifestyle change. And it really is. Because maybe I could lose weight if I decided to eat nothing but cabbage soup for a month but eventually I would go back to my old habits. So now I really have to examine what I’m doing, what I need to stop doing and what I need to start doing.
One of the biggest changes I’m trying to make is the language I use when describing this situation. I keep hearing that it’s harder if you’re constantly thinking about what you can’t have and can’t do and instead of focusing on what you can have and can do. So here’s a list of things that I am going to do. You’ll notice soon that I love lists. Love ’em. They keep me organize and I feel accomplished when I cross things off my list. Anyway, here goes:
1. I am going to weigh myself every Monday and post it for everyone to see.
2. I am going to eat one serving of fruit and one serving of vegetables everyday. Yeah that’s right, just one. That may not seem like much but trust me, for a girl who once viewed Taco Bell as a food group, it’s progress.
3. I will work out three times per week no matter what. This is something where I am going to be flexible. A workout doesn’t just mean spending an hour at the gym. It can mean going for an hour long walk around the city, riding my bike, or doing a practice from my handy yoga DVD.
4. I will only order pizza once a month. And heck, when I order it I will let you know what kind. Pizza is one of my biggest vices right now. I estimate that I spend close to $90 a month on pizza which leads me to my next point.
5. I am going to take all the money that would have been spent on pizza and put it into a savings account. And when that account gets fat enough I am going to Tiffany’s. That’s right, I am going to fucking Tiffany’s and I am going to treat myself to something nice. I know it will take a while before I save up that kind of money but hey, it’s still a pretty big incentive.
6. Speaking of treats, I am going to reward myself occasionally with something that is non food related. Maybe going out to a movie, getting an expensive haircut, going to a spa, whatever. This leads me to my next and possibly most important point.
7. I will acknowledge my accomplishments. I have a long history of being too hard on myself and not being proud of my achievements for fear of being seen as arrogant or vain. But I’ve come to realize that I actually have a lot to be proud of and that I shouldn’t be ashamed of my accomplishments so screw it, when I’m proud of myself I’m going to use this blog to shout it to the world.
8. I am going to take a picture of myself once a month to document where I am. I’m not saying that I will post the pictures but I will definitely take them. And perhaps I will also make up an excel sheet to chart my weight. Yes, I am becoming one of those people with lists and spreadsheets and pie charts and I think I like it.
9. I am going to keep dark chocolate and only dark chocolate in my pantry.
10. I am going to cook at least one recipe from my new Jamie Oliver cookbook every week.
Now, here is what I’m not going to do.
1. I’m not going to cut out any particular food group. I don’t believe in that.
2. I am not going to live on weird diet foods made entirely of chemicals that would never exist outside of a laboratory. Part of this change isn’t just about losing weight, it’s about eating whole, natural foods.
3. I am not going to give up. I know, that’s kind of a big thing to say but I have had enough. And for once, I have strangers on the internet to hold me accountable. I’m a big believer in better late than never so even if I don’t post every Monday I will do my best to make a minimum of one post per week.
So that’s it for now. I’m starting on a journey, I have a lot of ideas in my head and a lot of things that I want to accomplish. This is just the beginning.